zondag 18 september 2011

Xbox server - W.I.P. #1

As I cannot make a VGA adapter right now I started some work on the heat sinks. The stock heat sinks of the Xbox are 'glued' to it with the so called Microsoft goo or bubble gum.

With some gentle force I pulled off the heat sinks of the GPU and CPU. Here you can see the goo.
To remove the goo I used acetone and some q-tips (this was described on some forums as being cheap and perfectly safe).
The result was quite good.
Now I did the heat sinks I moved on to the CPU and GPU. The CPU is on the left and the GPU on the right. You can clearly see the goo on them.
So I did the same as I did with the heat sinks. Q-tips, acetone and a lot of rubbing. The result is self explaining.
I ordered some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as replacement. I heard good things about it, so I hope it will help some. I want to cool the Xbox as quiet as possible, so passive cooling is a must.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten