zondag 18 september 2011

Xbox server - Kick-off

I just started a new project or better said, restarted an old project.
I've got 2 XBox's laying around and I thought, let's make a server out of these.

I'm first going to try to get VGA output on one of these Xbox's. I tried it a couple of years earlier but failed at it.
The problem seems to be at getting the horizontal and vertical sync signals to give to a VGA connection.
There are 3 known methods of getting the sync signals:
  • Using Sync On Green
  • Using a sync splitter
  • Using the Xbox's internal sync signals
Sync On Green
The problem with SOG is that the monitor to be connected on it must support SOG. My monitors don't, and to prevent any future problems, I never attempted this. (Well I think I once did, but it didn't quite work. :-) )

Using a sync splitter
I've tried this method a couple of years earlier. I actually made a PCB for this one.
This was just a test. I just removed the actual PCB I tried to use, here are two pictures.


As you can see on the PCB I soldered some additional wires. With these wires I tried to fix what didn't work. The monitor kept showing the "not connected" message (before the wires) but after the wires the monitor just went to sleep.

But now I'm going for another try using the internal sync signals.

Internal sync signals
I looked up a tutorial on how to make this magic happen. Now it seems I need some electronics I don't happen to have. So I'm ordering right now :-)

I'm using this tutorial to mod one of my Xbox's.

I already did some work, but I'll put this in another post as this is getting a bit long :-)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten